So as so of you may know, or not know, in November we had a baby with Anencephaly. Which basically is the absence of a large part of the brain and the skull. Symptoms: Absence of the skull; Absence of the brain (cerebral hemispheres and cerebellum); Facial feature abnormalities; Heart defects. This is in the same family as spina bifida. However with spina bifida you have a chance of survial, with anencephaly you have a zero chance of living. It's basically black and white, there are no chances of survival, no matter what you try to do. The sweet baby is, as sad as it is to say, brain dead.
As hard as this is to swallow, we've had to relive this situation over and over lately (due to insurance issues) and what I know now, I wish I would have known then. When we were told about this situation, we were completely in shock. I mean shock! I didn't know what to say or how to function. I didn't know what questions to ask? I didn't know all of the facts at the time, but at that time, if this makes any sense, I didn't know that that I didn't know all of the facts. We just followed what we were guided to do. With not knowing much about this condition, we trusted our doctors and radiologists. They advised us that we should have a D&C while the baby is still small to avoid risks to the baby and mother. We followed this advise and felt comfortable, although very very saddened that we had to lose our sweet baby! We were emotional, but felt that at no matter what point of delivery, the outcome was the same, no viable baby.
As time has gone on, I have learned a lot about anencephaly. Maybe more than I can handle sometimes. I worry about what people think. I worry and think about the situation every day. I think about this sweet baby who has been blessed now with a great life in Heaven. I know this baby is happy and has forever changed my life. What I've learned from this situation is that first, we can't take life for granted and second, even when in such a hard situation, ask questions and learn as much as you can about the situation you've been presented with. Know every option. (Even if you think you know every option!)
To our baby,
We love you forever!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
You are an amazing woman and I'm grateful to call you my friend. I admire your strength and courage in dealing with the loss of your sweet baby. May the Lord continue to bless you with comfort and peace. LOVE YOU!!
I think about your baby often too. Hugs to you and your family. I just keep thinking my little guy is best buddies with your baby.
I'd be interested to learn more about what you have discovered in all of your research.
Love you!
We would never judge you guys! We love you and are here to support you no matter what. I will beat anyone up who dares to judge you harshly, that sounds like a joke but I would beat people up for judging you harshly. I know that chance will never come, but I'm willing!
We love you all so much!!!
Post a Comment