So it's been one week since I've started training for this 10K. (it's not too late to join and start running, there is still plenty of time!) I wanted to write down my thoughts, so here they are in no particular order:
* It's hard to run when you have a cold. I've been fighting it the whole week. The morning time is especially the worst because I've been laying there half the night with my mouth open trying to breathe, and well, you know the outcome of that! It seems by night, I can breathe and that's when I have done all of my running
* EmmaLee is a great motivator. She loves the treadmill, and has to run on it before I or Neil get to. She gets this big smile on her face when she is done and you know she is just so proud of herself. On Tuesday night we were watching "The Biggest Loser" and I told her that after it was over we were going to exercise. At every commercial, she would ask if it was time to exercise? Even if I didn't want to run, she wouldn't have let me, she was going to make sure that we did it!
* Talking to other people about running helps. The more people I find out who are trying to run/walk or even do a triathlon, helps me stay motivated.
*The first week is hard. Here's why: when I am running, I keep thinking how I will never be able to continuously run for 6.2 miles. I am barely making it past .5 miles and I am running out of breath.
*The first week is great. Here's why: I am completely motivated because it's the new year, and it's time to get into shape!
*I heard that 80% of people don't follow through with their New Year's goal by February. That's scary!!
*Running .5 of a mile really doesn't take that long. It takes longer to get changed into your workout clothes and get everything set and ready to run, than it takes to run .5 of a mile. My experience is that it takes about 5 mins. No big deal, right? I keep having to tell myself that.
*Neil is 100% behind me and is following my workouts and that makes it a lot easier to stay motivated.
*I need new shoes. I have had the same shoes for over four years. I think they are too small. I've actually heard that after you have had a baby, your feet can be permanently bigger. Maybe that's my problem?
*Music, TV or any other distraction to keep my mind off of running really helps me. When I think bad thoughts, it is very hard to run. When I am positive, it is surprising how much longer you can stay on the treadmill.
*It's only going to get easier, right? Please tell me that it is!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Its only going to get easier.... This coming from someone who NEEDS to be running 10k or not. I'd love to do that though, but I never have a chance to go work out without the kids... but goodluck! And honestly I have heard that it just gets easier so hang in there.
I can sympathize with you, since I read your post I have gone running twice....with a cold as well. I am hoping that I am worn out because of the cold and not because I am out of shape :) Hopefully I will be over this cold by next week because I have plans to go running before work. Sounds like you are doing awesome!!! Keep up the good work. One of these days I will talk with you and find out what this marathon is, because I am on board with you!!
Jana, i think its awesome that you're training for a race! I can't get myself to commit to anything like that. You're pictures are always so cute! Thanks for being such a dedicated blogger. P.S. if you wanted to invite us over to play wii, we wouldn't be mad at you. ;)
You are so funny. Your thoughts are so real. Love it. You're going to do it though girl! You are strong!!! Good luck. :)
Jana, I love your new background. I'm jealous you're training, I exercise with no goals in mind. I can not believe how long your hair is again already, you have the prettiest hair. Anyway, I hope to see you Wed.
I love running and I promise it does get much better! Hang in there:)
You can do it Jana, I believe in you. LOL I know how hard it is and believe me, I'm tempted to join you....but scared. Oh so scared. Maybe I'll just be tough and at least train with you. Just because I train doesn't mean I have to commit to running a 10k in the heat of the summer right?
Jana! So good to see you tonight. And I really will try to toughen up and let you inspire me to run too...
Yeah! Logan is great! I really love it up here... especially the ice cream! I'm totally addicted! I only have one motivation when it comes to running... and that's music. I can't run a block without it! It makes a world of difference for me, so if you haven't tried that yet, do it:)
Post a Comment